To Clean or Not To Clean: Everything You Should Know About Duct Cleaning
If you are wondering how often should you have your ducts cleaned or if you need to have your air ducts cleaned at all, you are at the right place.
Recently, we have received numerous questions about whether air duct cleaning is necessary or not. We decided to answer some of the critical questions about duct cleaning in this post.
And the short answer is, it depends on your HVAC system and its maintenance.
But, we can say that having your ducts cleaned is always a good idea to make sure you know what’s going on in your HVAC system.
If you are still thinking:
“Is duct cleaning a waste of money?”
Read on. Because we’ll explain all the aspects of duct cleaning to help you decide if you really need to get it done.
What’s Air Duct Cleaning?
Duct cleaning can be defined as the process of the elimination of all the dirt, mold, debris and other contaminants out of the heating and cooling system components of air forced system.
According to the EPA, the cleaning process includes:
- Supply and return air ducts and registers
- Grilles and diffusers
- Heat exchangers heating and cooling coils
- Condensate drain pans (drip pans)
- Fan motor and fan housing
- Air handling unit housing
Watch Our Duct Cleaning Video
How Much Air Duct Cleaning Cost in Toronto?
Although the cost varies depending on several factors, in general, duct cleaning cost in Toronto is anywhere between $450 to $1000. Here are the factors that may affect the duct cleaning costs:
- Services offered: Some companies only offer partial cleaning. We recommend hiring duct cleaners who are capable of performing a full cleaning service.
- Contamination status: The level of the pollution might require different cleaning methods and equipment which may affect the price.
- The size of the system: If the system is larger, there will be more ductwork to do which may increase the cost.
- System accessibility: Not All HVAC systems are created equal. Some of the HVAC systems might require more labor to reach out and clean.
Why Is Air Duct Cleaning Important?
Research shows that, on average, people spend 90 percent of their time indoors. This number points out the significance of the indoor air quality. Having a clean and healthy airflow in your home or work environment can help you stay away from the diseases such as asthma and allergens.
Will Air Duct Cleaning Help Allergies?
Although there is not a study shows the direct correlation between air duct cleaning and allergies, we can say that it’s a great idea to keep your ducts clean if you have any kind of allergies. Contaminants like mold and pollen in your HVAC system might be the reason behind the allergies.
Does Air Duct Cleaning Improve Airflow?
Even though most of the HVAC systems have air filters to prevent mold, pollen, and pollutants carried into indoor environments through the air, some of the contaminants can still pass through the air filters. A professional duct cleaning service will eliminate all the allergens and pollutants which will ensure a fresh airflow.
What To Expect From Air Duct Cleaning?
Always check a cleaning company’s air duct cleaning reviews before you hire one.
As Golden Line Green Care, we follow the steps below to ensure the highest quality duct cleaning:
- Assessing the area to understand what cleaning method is best suited
- Removing vent covers to sample the dirt/dust, adding a camera for perfect inspection
- Conducting the air duct cleaning with necessary tools and cutting-edge equipment
- Removing any remaining mold, bacteria, dirt or dust manually and utilizing mold preventatives
- Replacement of damaged ducts and installation of the new ones
How Long Does Air Duct Cleaning Take?
On average, air duct cleaning takes 2.5 to 5 hours. But, remember that this an estimated length of time. In order to give you a more accurate estimation we usually take several factors into account you can see below:
- How big is your home or office (in sq foot)?
- When was the last time you had your HVAC system cleaned?
- How many furnaces are there?
- Where are the furnaces located?
Air Duct Cleaning Benefits
Duct cleaning has many benefits. But, here are the top 5 benefits we put together for you:
- Improve airflow efficiency
- Extend the life-span of your HVAC system
- Reduce dusting and allergens
- Save energy and money
- Improve home hygiene
Air Duct Cleaning Before and After
When Is Air Duct Cleaning Necessary?
As we mentioned earlier, duct cleaning is not always necessary. But, EPA recommends to have duct cleaning if you are experiencing these:
- If there is mold in your ducts or HVAC system
- If your ducts are filled with insects
- If your ducts are jammed with dust
Most of these can be identified with a visible inspection. But don’t forget that your HVAC system has many components. It doesn’t mean that the mold is not there just because you can’t see it. Having a professional inspection is always a wise choice if you want to be hundred percent sure.
Cleaning Tips To Prevent Duct Contamination
You can reduce the dust levels in your HVAC system by following the tips below:
- Use the best quality air filters
- Replace your filters on a regular basis
- Make sure you have all the necessary filters
- Check if there is a gap between the filter and the filter holder
- If there is a construction in your home or office turn off the HVAC system entirely
As Golden Line Green Care family, we are proud to deliver top-rated duct cleaning services to Toronto more than 15 years.
Give us a call and we’ll give your free & no-obligation quote.
You are only one call away from the best GTA duct cleaners.